Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/rwboyer/webapps/polyfaceyumzen/buyingclubcommunity/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Pork Recipes
Polyface Buying Club Community
May 22, 2017, 08:31:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pork Recipes  (Read 6878 times)
Sheri Salatin
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2010, 07:53:33 AM »

Does anyone have any favorite pork recipes?

Please share.  Here is the link for all of the previously posted recipes - http://polyfaceyum.blogspot.com/search/label/pork
mtngranny

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »

This is just the best!  A family favourite. 

1 2 1/2 to 3 pound pork loin roast; trimmed, rinsed, and patted dry
1/2 c orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
3/4 c freshly squeezed lemon juice
10 garlic cloves, minced
2 T chopped fresh oregano or 2 t dried
1 t ground cumin
2 t salt
1 t black pepper
2 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 c chicken broth, canned or homemade
2 T all-purpose flour

1.  Place the pork in a large nonreactive dish.  Whisk together the orange juice and lemon juice, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper.  Score the roast in a crosshatch pattern across the top and pour on the marinade, making sure to rub the garlic into the slits on top.  Cover the pork and let it marinate in the fridge for at least 12 hours, turning it once after about 6 hours. 

2.  Preheat oven to 350.

3.  Take the roast out of the marinade, pat it dry, and season it with a bit of salt and pepper.  Warm the olive oil in a Dutch oven or heavy roasting pan. Sear the roast over medium-high heat until all sides are brown, about 15 minutes.  Transfer roast to a plate.

4.  Add the onion to the pot and cook, stirring, until brown, 3 to 5 minutes.

5.  Return the roast to the pot, add the marinade and chicken broth, and pop on the lid.  Place the pan in the oven and roast for 30 minutes.  Turn over and continue cooking, covered, for 30 to 45 minutes more, until the interior temp is 160.  Remove the roast from the pan and cover it loosely with foil until ready to serve.

6.  For the gravy, place the pan on the stove and skim any excess fat.  If the liquid is too salty, add a piece of potato and it will soak up excess salt.  In a small bowl, stir the flour into 1/2 c water.  Strain mixture into remaining juices in the pan.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. 

7.  Cut the pork into 1/2 inch slices and serve with gravy over rice.

Serves 6.  Delicious!! 
Marlene

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 09:47:39 AM »

This is a bit time consuming but absolutely delicious! Smiley It's been a big hit whenever I've served it, including at my monthly roving foodie group dinner (soup was the theme).

This is my variation of a recipe I found online.

SEASONING MIX:
1 tablespoons salt  (GO EASY ON THE SALT IF THERE'S SOME IN THE STOCK!)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper
2 tablespoons pressed garlic (or more)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper

About 6 pounds of pork backbones (or pork shoulder ribs, bone-in), cut into 2 inch segments with a sturdy cleaver. (Can use larger chunks.)
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 to 1 cup pork lard or vegetable oil (have more on hand if needed, but this has been enough for me)
2 cups finely chopped onions (can include some really large chunks for texture variation, but do finely chop most)
1 cup finely chopped green bell peppers (can include some really large chunks)
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 package crimini (baby portobello) mushrooms, quartered
1 teaspoon red pepper (cayenne)
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
8 cups chicken broth
3 cups cooked brown rice (if preferred instead of rice, consider adding 1-2 chunked boiling potatoes ... or salt and brown potatoes in oven before adding to the soup)

Combine seasoning mix ingredients in a small container. Rub meat on both sides with mix .

Roll backbones in flour, shaking off excess. Reserve 1/2 cup leftover flour for the roux (a mixture of fat and flour heated and used as a basis for sauces).

Heat lard or oil in a large skillet. Meanwhile, combine the onions, bell peppers and celery and set aside.

Brown the backbones well on both sides in the hot fat and drain on paper towels. (Brown means BROWN, you want it to be darkened and a bit crusty, not just cooked-looking.)

Heat broth in a large soup pot to a rolling boil. Add the backbones and cook just until meat is tender (30-60 minutes). Add mushrooms at some point during this step. If you have large chunks of vegetables, add them during this step as well. If using potatoes, salt and roast in oven while soup is cooking or add directly to the broth and cook.

Meanwhile, pour off all but about 1/2 cup of fat from the skillet, leaving the little pieces of stuff. Turn heat to medium or high (depending on your stove) and heat just until fat begins to smoke (DON'T BURN). Slowly stir in the reserved 1/2 cup flour (don't use more!) with a long handled metal whisk and cook whisking constantly until roux is dark red-brown about 4 minutes. Don't let it scorch or splash on your skin. Immediately add the vegetable mixture and stir veggies about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Add the roux/veggie mixture by spoonfuls to the soup, gently stirring until well blended between each addition. Lower heat to simmer and cook uncovered until meat is falling off bones, about another hour, stirring all the time. After half hour add red wine. If stew gets too thick add more broth or water.

Serve immediately in bowls over cooked rice (if not using potatoes).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 09:51:05 AM by marlenebruce » Logged
John Frazer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 04:45:23 PM »

For a ham roast, I borrowed the cooking method from this recipe: http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/05/13/smokey-roast/, except that I cooked it more like 11-12 hours in the crock pot.

However, instead of the coffee-based dry rub, I used one from Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals, the "Garlic Lover's Dry Rub."  For the 2-3 lb. roast, I used:

2 tbsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. coarse-ground black pepper
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. onion powder
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: